Saturday 17 October 2015

Serving Single

I get nervous talking about singleness because I feel like I am not even suppose to notice that I am single ... because I am so content, right?!

I also hate talking about it, because it often contributes to the enemy's attack. Getting people (me) to wallow in self-pity and bitterness. 

But, I was chatting with another single missionary the other day, and it got me thinking. She is actually leaving the mission field because she feels like she can not do it alone. I am sure that happens a lot, there have been days where that sure would be a lot easier.

There are moments when, and I believe it is true for all singles, where the weight of still being single knocks the wind out of you. Fortunately, for me, those moments do not come super often. But they do show up. There are times when whatever your facing would be way easier with someone by my side. There are times when everyone on facebook is talking about their great husband and kids or whatever and I am just like "hey, look at my dog... she's super cute" By the way, she is! =0)

I do think there are some great blessings in ministry and life being single (and different ones for the married folk out there too). Being single allows me to do more with my day without worrying about someone else. I have the opportunity to minister to different people then my married co-workers. I have the freedom to travel... and its cheaper too! 

By withholding a husband and children, God has given me the opportunity to have more flexibility and really, more time.

And during the time of waiting and praying for a husband, I want to be faithful with what God has entrusted me with. I don't want to waste the time or opportunity I have right now.  I don't want to be distracted by details like marital status.

I hope that when the times of sadness and longing for what I don't have come, that I am able to remember some of the blessings too. While I hope for marriage, I hope that I long for my Creator more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment