Wednesday 18 January 2017

The Coffee Experience #1

The guy that is training us in "the coffee industry" has suggested that it would be interesting and fun to document the experience from now until we get back from training. He has given us a pile of books to read, some stuff to watch to watch on youtube, and some emails going back and forth.

During the e-mails he has been very clear that it is an intense learning process and we should start resting now for something that happens in three weeks!

The videos we are suppose to be watching explain the process of cupping coffee. I have seen this done in the past, when I was just messing around youtube, and I am super excited to be able to try that and see what is all about in person.  Coffee cupping is where you taste, smell, and examine coffee during different stages of brewing. I love coffee, so this won't be hard for me at all. =) However, a person on our team... does not enjoy coffee and I will also get the experience of him suffering through that a little!

The books. Although packed with a whole bunch of information that is probably pretty useful, its hard to sit and read... at least for me. It is full of information about how much moisture is in a bean, how fast and what temp to roast it. (see the thrilling images below) I know that I will need to learn all of that, but I think it will be more helpful to see it and talk about it in person vs reading a book while falling asleep.




This is going to be an adventure for sure, we don't leave for a few weeks, so i am going to continue learning until then... I keep thinking WHAT HAVE I GOT MYSELF INTO!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that looks awesome. Save the books for me to read when I visit you guys. Would love to see the "person" cupping coffee who doesn't like it :)

    ReplyDelete