Tuesday, 14 February 2017
Coffee bootcamp: over 1000lbs roasted.
Oh man, after several days of roasting we have (successfully) roasted over 1000 lbs of coffee. Thats crazy!
We can successfully...
- go to farm and pick out the best quality beans based on the plant, the smell and then cupping the coffee beans
- create relationships with the farmers and know how to get them shipped to us (by the 150lb bag).
- Set up a successful roasting room
- We can roast different coffees based on the bean.
- We learned how badly you can be burned by a coffee roaster and how you can really easily break limbs when you are not paying attention.
- We can pick out flavor profiles in the beans and know which to buy, which to mix and which to leave.
- We know fair prices for beans
- We can make espresso blends from several different beans to create a great taste and complexity
- We can cool, grind and serve the beans in several different way
- What we want and what we do not want in a coffee shop experience.
Bottom line: We can do this!
We are not experts but we have the head knowledge and a lot know is relationship with people and putting all of our knowledge into practice.
We have one more day of training, which is mostly wrapping up everything and last minute questions.
We are excited and cautiously optimistic at this point... but we are also very tired. So, talk to you tomorrow.