Tuesday 3 January 2012

But, why?

This morning was no different from any other... My dog has to go to the bathroom and I just want to continue to be warm in my bed! But, because I am a good dog owner, or because she is very persistent... I get up and take her to the park to do her business!

I usually don't pay attention to many happenings around me in the morning... because, well.... I am still in dream land. But, this morning was the first day back to school! All of the little kids dressed in their cute uniforms were walking with their mom or dad, and I overheard one little boy. I couldn't hear what the mom was saying but he kept saying in a whiny 6 year old voice ... por que (why?). My guess is they were talking about school (at least that was always the conversation in my house when we had to go back to school after a long break! )

But, this continued... mom would say something and the boy would say why. And with every 'why' he got more and more frustrated.

I bet the mom was thinking.. that her son was really cute at first... then my guess is she wanted to say... "why. because i said so... thats why!"

As I was walking home and thinking about this little boy and I thought... I don't think that is much different than our relationship with Christ.

A friend got into a really bad car accident... But why God?
A family member is really sick... But why God?
Life is hard right now... But why God?

It is often hard to understand the 'why' questions. Why does God allow pain? suffering? hard times? It sometimes is a hard reality to swallow... not knowing all the answers. But, that is where faith comes in to play. Sometimes you have to be ok with not know... at least for now. 

But, it is comforting that God doesn't leave us high and dry.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are you ways my ways.... as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts are higher than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9)

God asks us to lay down our need to understand why. Something I have never found easy, but we can rest in the promise that when we surrender our need to know, His peace "... which surpasses all understanding," will guard us from being jaded. (Phil 4:7)


No comments:

Post a Comment