Saturday 2 June 2012

The call of servanthood.

During intern time here in Mexico we are going through a book called "Cross Cultural Servanthood" By Duane Elmer. I have read it before... but it is different when you have already lived in a culture for a while. It gives you a new perspective on things. It makes you think about what you have already done wrong (and sometimes right) when being a servant in a different culture. It makes you appreciate where your serving, who your serving, and the servants around you.

Serving is not what most people identify as an indication of greatness in this world. It is considered a job for the unfortunate; an awful task assigned to the untalented and uneducated people for the benefit of chosen few. In the eyes of the world (or at least US culture) your level of greatness is determined by how many serve you. The more people you have beneath you, bowing to your wishes, the greater you are.

I believe the greatest challenge a Christian will face (or at least that I have faced) is to become a Christ-like servant. It is the low road to a believer's higher calling. It is a challenge because it goes against everything my culture says... the desire for fame, popularity and power... and of course, Jesus was the perfect example of a servant when He lived here on earth.


Matthew 20:27-28
 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

John 13:3-5
 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

I hope that every single day I have continue to look to the example that Jesus set to serve people. I know that I need to continue to dying to myself and keeping my focus not on what my culture says about how to live. I pray that I can show Jesus to people through the everyday little things. I hope I can bless someone without them knowing it was me.

I pray that God keeps showing me my pride so that I can daily become more and more of the servant that he has called me to. I pray that I can keep my focus- always- on the perfect servent.



No comments:

Post a Comment