Saturday 19 November 2011

(11/30) What dreams may come

Dreams fascinate me. In the Bible, God sometimes spoke through dreams, and I believe He still does on occasion. Dreams can also be symbolic. Just ask Freud. (Or, better yet, don’t. I have a traumatic memory from when I was thirteen and I made the mistake of telling my mom about a frightening dream I couldn’t seem to shake off. She proceeded to give me the “a knife may not represent a knife” speech. The only positive outcome from our conversation was that my early-adolescent horror over her interpretation banished any lingering fears from the dream.)
Some people’s dreams are vivid and deep and complicated. Mine are... all of them! I seem to remember all of the dreams i have ever had... in great detail. When i tell someone my dreams (which i don't normally do) It is like I am telling the entire plot line of an epic movie. Sometimes they are scary, sometimes funny, sometimes weird... well alot of times weird and some people marvel at the fact i can remember all those details.
Actually, sometimes i wish i didn't remember them.
But, for some reason, God has allowed me to remember every detail of all of my dreams. 
Last night i had a very unusual dream. Usually they are very real, very real life ... But, his morning I awoke and realized I’d had a somewhat “literary” dream. (I use the term loosely. Very.) The main character of my dream was an author and playwright who was locked in conflict with her publisher. It seems she’d promised her daughter that she would name a character after her in all her books and plays. This might not have been such a big deal had the daughter’s name been Ann or Mary. But her name was Utopia. The publisher argued that Utopia was too unusual a name to reappear in multiple books and plays, but the author wasn't backing down. She’d made a promise, and even if it meant losing some contracts, she meant to keep it.
In the dream I was inclined to side with the author, but as I recall, I suggested perhaps she might call her daughter by a nickname and then use that name in her works. The obvious nickname I suggested was “Bob.”
Guess the dream will remain an unsolved mystery. Unless you understand it!

No comments:

Post a Comment